Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Rob Crosby

Born and raised in Sumter, South Carolina, a small town 80 miles from the coast., Rob moved to Nashville in the late eighties. He has scored hits as both a writer and an artist. His number one and top ten songs are:

* "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride
* "She's More" by Andy Griggs
* "Holdin' a Good Hand" by Lee Greenwood
* "She's a Natural" by Rob Crosby
* "Love Will Bring Her Around" by Rob Crosby
* "Burnin' For You" by Rob Crosby

Other artists who have recorded his songs include:

* Carl Perkins
* Paul Simon
* Restless Heart
* Eddie Raven
* Boy Howdy
* Victoria Shaw
* Phillip Claypool
* Ronna Reeves
* Ricochet
* Lila McCAnn
* Tim Rushlow
* Neal Coty
* Blackhawk
* Ty Herndon
* The Wilkinsons
* Darryl Worley
* Paul Overstreet
* Kristin Garner
* The Osmond Brothers
* And triple-platinum European artist Ilse DeLange.



With three nationally released albums and eight chart singles, Rob has toured with Travis Tritt, Reba and Brooks & Dunn, and has opened shows for Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Restless Heart, George Jones and others.

"I grew up with a strong sense of family, as close to my cousins as I am to my sister, Nanette, and brother, Steve. My mother, Julia, is a retired public school teacher and my father, John, is a lawyer who takes care of people whether or not they have money. He reminds me of Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird. Mama and Daddy were always in the church choir and Nanette and Steve were in their high school and college bands. I'm the only one in the family who can't read music well.

I started playing ukulele when I was seven or eight years old…when my hands got bigger I graduated to guitar, at around age ten. I was writing songs from the beginning. My first song was "I'm a Lonely Man." I played at school functions and private parties until I was old enough to fake my age and start playing in bars. I was lead singer in a southern rock band called "Crosby" for a year, but found a better niche in a three-man acoustic group, "Savanna," which was more like Crosby, Stills and Nash - great harmonies and lots of original songs. I quit the University of South Carolina and played all the clubs in Columbia with that group, which gradually expanded into a full band with bass and drums. When the bass player stole my girlfriend I became a solo act.

I was playing clubs in Columbia SC, Augusta GA, Greenville SC,Charleston SC and all the small towns in between and gradually put together The Rob Crosby Group, which toured Europe twice, for the Armed Forces, and played colleges along the east coast.

Finally, three of us moved to Nashville. By then I had married Pam and Matthew was two years old. I landed a small publishing deal and Pam worked to help support us. After several years, Lee Greenwood recorded "Holding a Good Hand," which went to number one, and I was signed to Arista records all in the same year…(overnight success). My first three singles, "She's a Natural," "Love Will Bring Her Around," and "Still Burning for You" were top-ten to top fifteen hits. I toured with Travis Tritt and opened shows for Reba, Brooks and Dunn, Willie Nelson, George Jones, Restless Heart, and others. I played shows all over America and Canada and began making trips to perform in Holland and Switzerland.

My new CD, "One light in the Dark" has been released by Dureco, a Dutch label. I am producing a new star for Warner Records in Holland, Nancy Casteele, and a new artist from Belgium, Wendy Fierce, who is signed to Universal Records. My friend Ilse De Lange, has recorded five songs that I wrote with or for her on her Warner Holland CDs, "World of Hurt" and "Living on Love" (www.ilsedelange.com), so my work in Europe continues to expand.

In the last few years I have focused more than ever on song-writing and have been blessed with a number of cuts. I've found a new balance between writing and performing and am enjoying my work more than ever.