Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Arthur Godfrey

I think I wrote my first song when I was twelve. That would make the year 1967. My dad had bought me my first guitar as I had been singing in the choir the previous two years and he could tell I was serious about music. The Beatles had also been tearing up America and the world with their songwriting and music for the past three years. I used to put my older sisters' Beatles records on and knew I was listening to something very cool and special. As I grew older and continued writing songs and playing in rock bands through out high school and college I became much more aware of the songwriters of my generation. John Lennon was at the top of my list. Like millions of people around the world and most certainly songwriters and musicians, John became part of the fabric of our hearts and souls. His life became part of our lives, one couldn't help it, it came naturally.

I entered some songs in a few of the bigger song contests, including the John Lennon Songwriting Contest. I didn't win any at that time but received some positive feedback and constructive tips on improving my song writing. I continued writing and reentered the John Lennon Songwriting Contest in 2001 and was awarded the Grand Prize in the folk category for my song "Simple Man". Besides the money and prizes that come with the award, I had the opportunity to perform my song that year at the annual Maxell Song of the Year Event in Cleveland at the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". It was an unbelievable experience to play there and to be recognized by my peers but most importantly to be connected to the John Lennon Songwriting Contest family and in almost a personal way, to John himself.

I entered again in 2003 and again won the grand prize in the folk category for my song "Amen", but this time I was also awarded the “Maxell Song of the Year. A few things I do know are; that John Lennon was one of the most influential songwriters in my life and to win a song contest that is endorsed by his family is deeply personal to me. When you get involved with the John Lennon Songwriting Contest family you actually feel their concern for you as a human being and songwriter. After the awards are over you still stay involved with the organization playing music and getting support. The staff is ready and willing to help you with press and promotion. I have also played with the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus as a past winner.

Another thing I know is I stayed true to my commitment to myself to work on my song writing and acted upon it by entering song contests, not just to win but to stay active and keep writing. As songwriters we have stories to tell. it's up to you to decide how far you want to take it. As John said...."you may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one"....and I know I'm not, since many thousands of songwriters enter the song contest that honors his name".

Respectfully,

Arthur Godfrey